We invite you to visit our "tropical paradise" of palm trees and canals. Punta Gorda Isles is a deed-restricted community offering golf, tennis, fishing and boating in the beautiful 129 Square Mile Charlotte Harbor leading to the Gulf of Mexico through Boca Grande Pass. The Harbor is the Confluence of two rivers the Peace River flowing in from the middle of Florida to the East and the Myakka River to the North.
Punta Gorda (or "fat point" in Spanish) was well known to the Indians, Spanish explorers and American pioneers. In 1887, the city changed its name from Trabue (the name of its founder) to Punta Gorda.
Gone now is the long dock which extended 4000 feet into Charlotte Harbor to allow the Fishing Boats to unload their catch's to waiting railroad cars, that were iced down from the Punta Gorda Ice Plant, and shipped to New York City. Punta Gorda was the terminus of the Florida Southern Railway.
Isles visionaries, Bud Cole, Al Johns, and Bob Barbee built four models on the west shore of the basin (behind the present site of the PGICA center). The first Isles residents moved into their homes in 1959. At the end of 1960 there were 30 homes. By 1968, land purchases by Punta Gorda Isles Inc. totaled approximately 2300 acres. In December, 1968, Punta Gorda Isles Inc. announced plans to build a new golf course section, named Burnt Store Isles, and in January 1969, they purchased an additional 509 acres. The company reported record sales and additional land acquisitions were made. PGI Inc. entered an agreement with the City of Punta Gorda that these additional lands would be annexed by the City.
Sales within PGI were slow at first, but picked up as the economy grew. Through the 80's and early 90's sales tended to match the economic times. The current growth spirt can be traced back to 1996 when in a growing economy, Punta Gorda was named by Money Magazine as the "Second best place to live in America", and the "Number 1 small place to live in America".